In this class, author and TV chef Theo Michaels from FiveDinners.com shows students how to cook a really simple and delicious smoky chorizo and prawn infused rice. For students who have an interest in cooking and want to expand their repertoire or those who are keen to learn a new skill, this is a perfect midweek meal. Using frozen prawns and chorizo ring making this also a great store cupboard supper.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
• 250 g frozen cold water prawns or normal king prawns
• 250 g basmati rice uncooked
• 750 ml hot water
• 150 g frozen petit pois or garden peas
• 100 g chorizo ring (or cooking chorizo) diced 1cm cubes
• 1 bell pepper diced
• 1 onion diced
• 3 cloves garlic chopped
• 1 stock cube preferably chicken
• 1 tsp smoked paprika
• 0.5 tsp turmeric
• 45 ml olive oil
• 1 tsp salt
• 2 tbsp tomato puree
• 10 g fresh coriander chopped
• 1 red chili sliced, optional
• 1 lemon
1. Fry the onions, peppers, chorizo in a generous splash of olive oil for six minutes until softened, then stir in the garlic for a minute. Quickly follow with the rice, turmeric and smoked paprika and tomato puree, stir everything together and cook for another minute.
2. Crumble in the stock cube along with a generous pinch of salt and pepper then fold in the frozen peas and prawns and finally top with hot water, stir everything together.
3. Bring it to a simmer then cover tightly with a lid and turn the heat down to low and leave to cook with the lid on for 15 minutes.
4. Remove from the heat and rest for five minutes, then remove the lid and after the steam has escaped, fluff gently with a fork (only a fork not a spoon it will go mushy) give it a little drizzle of olive oil, pinch of salt, and squeeze half lemon over the top.
Garnish with coriander, lemon wedges and chili, if using.
5. Note: depending on the age of the rice, how tight fitting your lid, how hot, etc. this can vary slightly. As such, once cooked add more water or leave cooking a little longer if needed.
Safeguarding reminder:The safety of your child is of the utmost importance. All of our classes are pre-recorded to remove any concerns around live participation. For reruns of our past live classes, students' webcams and microphones were disabled and only the chat history, if participation was requested, is visible.